Hits produce No Hitter

Pitcher high on Acid throws a no hitter. This here inneresting to Goliath

Ellis consumed the LSD that would generate his greatest performance the afternoon of June number twelve, nineteen seventy, the year of our Lord. Ellis woke up that morning hung over from twenty plus hours of screwdrivers, reefers and amphetamines. He was back in his hometown of Los Angeles enjoying some leisure time prior to a Pittsburgh series with the San Diego Padres. By his own admission, Ellis was a regular day-off connoisseur of Lysergic Acid Diethylamide. He had christened a room in his Hollywood home "The Dungeon" where he would enjoy mind-expanding experiences guided by the LPs of Iron Butterfly and The Jimi Hendrix Experience. His indulgence in the L.A. generated "Purple Haze" strain of acid was an easy choice for the devoted Hendrix buff. Such rituals had him prepared, to some degree, for the notorious experience that went down at Jack Murphy Stadium on a caliginous San Diego day.

Ellis described sports' most psychedelic event on NPR in the spring of 2008, "We flew out of San Diego and I asked the manager could I go [to my home in Los Angeles] cause we had an off day. So he said, 'Yeah,' so I took some LSD at the airport cause I knew where it would hit me. I'd be in my own little area where I knew where to go, so that's how I got to [my friend's] house. She said, 'What's wrong with you?' I said, 'I'm high as a Georgia pine!' The next day, which I thought was the next day, she told me, 'You gotta get up, you gotta go pitch!' I said, 'Pitch? I pitch tomorrow. Hell, what are you talking about?' Cause I got up in the middle of the morning and took some more acid. She grabbed the paper, brought me the sports page and showed me... THUNK. I said, 'Ah, wow. What happened to yesterday?' She said, 'I don't know, but you better get to that airport."

The Dallas Observer recounted that Ellis estimated the LSD would not last until the evening's game, which was scheduled to start later than usual. Then Ellis remembered why the game was scheduled late, "The pirates had a doubleheader. And he was pitching the first game. He had four hours to get to San Diego and pitch."

Dock Ellis: "Now this was in the seventies and greens was Dexamyl. That was the drug of choice back then ... a stimulant. Over ninety percent of the major league was using Dexamyl when I was playing. When I got to the game, there was a lady down there in San Diego who used to always have the Bennies for me - Benzedrine ... I went out to the dugout and reached up 'cause .... she always stood over the rail. Had a perfect little gold pouch. So I got the Bennies, went back over to the clubhouse, took them. The game started and the mist started. Misty rain. So all during the game was a little mist. The opposing team and my teammates, they knew I was high but they didn't know what I was high on ... They had no idea what LSD was other than what they'd see on TV with the hippies.

"I didn't see the hitters. All I could tell was if they were on the right side or the left side. The catcher put tape on his fingers so I could see the signals. We had a rookie on the team at that particular time named Dave Cash and he kept saying after the first inning, 'You got a no-no going,' a no-hitter. I said, 'Yeah, right.' Around the fourth inning he'd say it again ... I'd look, 'Yup.' But I could also feel the pressure from other players wanting to tell him to shut up. It's a superstition thing where you're not supposed to say nothin' if somebody's throwing a no-hitter. There were times when the ball was hit back at me. I jumped because I thought it was coming fast but the ball was coming slow. Third baseman would come by and grab the ball and threw somebody out ... I thought there was a big old ball and then sometimes it looked small ... I covered first base and I caught the ball and I tagged the base all in one motion and I said, 'Ooh, I just made a touchdown.'

"I didn't pay no attention to the score, y'know, I'm trying to get the batters out. I'm throwing a crazy game. I'm hitting people, walking people, throwing balls in the dirt, they're going everywhere. It was easier to pitch with the LSD because I was so used to medicating myself. That's the way I was dealing with the fear of failure, the fear of losing, the fear of winning, it was part of the game. You get to the major leagues and you say I got to stay here... what do I need?" It is widely believed no footage of the game exists, however an HBO Documentary crew apparently dug up a black and white copy for Ellis to show to a group of prisoners for a drug counseling session a couple years ago. The footage was missing a few innings but it did include a post-game interview with Dock veering into abstract philosophical rambling - naturally leaving the group of prisoners that viewed it howling.

Here the Web site for whole story: http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/09/just-what-the-doc-ordered-lsd-and-the-strangest-moment-in-major-league-history.html

Comments

Anonymous said…
Docks pitching was wild that day, he walked 8 and hit one player. He was known for being fairly aggressive when he set his mind on it.

In 74 he felt his teamates weren't being aggressive enough and were easily intimidated. So when the first batter from the opposing team came up to bat, Pete Rose, he hit him in the ribs, then he hit Joe Morgan in the side, then he hit Dan Driessen in the back.

By this point, the next batter, Tony Perez, let the man do his thing but made sure to keep out of his way enough to draw a walk.

Dock then threw two pitches at the head of the next batter, Johnny Bench. At that point Danny Murtaugh yanked him from the game.
Goliath: Speaking of the 70's, etc. ....A close personality of "Draino's" called me last night and was very lucid and pleasant! He is going to the court house today for, I think, mediation, and expects to win. Krugerrand purchases await!
Goliath said…
wOULD LOVE TO BE flyON wall fOR that there!
Goliath: Update! A close personality of "Mr. Draino's" called and said that the mediation was..... interesting! The experienced mediator ranked it among his all time best events! Fun for everyone! An agreement was hammered out between the Warring Parties. It is now signed, sealed, and delivered. The aformentioned associate personality of Draino's has thirty (30) days to remove his fish and get them out of the building and innto a vault!
The Cincinnati Reds lost last night to the the Phillies 7-4 to go down 2-0 in the NLDS which is best of five. The Reds are back in Cinci Sunday night for game three. They are holding tough cards.
Goliath wisely said: "There seems to be a pause in the usual stream of ideas, comments, posts and energy of the blogs." Yes, yes, this is true. Even the evil CCC is at a depressing(to them)low ebb. As a purely academic effort and in the interest of "stirring" ideas and energy into the public discourse we could watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wty7974IKg&feature=player_embedded
Anonymous said…
Wow!.........I just watched that video! Everyone who is going to vote this November should also watch it! is informative and interesting and YES that will put some BLOOD FLOW into the veins of the GAW readers!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wty7974IKg&feature=player_embedded
Anonymous said…
If Pesty watches this on LSD, all bets are off..........
The call has gone out from Goliath and associates to restore energy into the blogs... The question will be asked "is a cartoon character (aka 'Toon) the same as or very similar to an Avatar?" This is cool and...stimulating: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNyg1ftMIU&feature=fvw
Lisa Smith said…
http://abbysnana62.blogspot.com/2010/10/what-happened-to-honor-and-commitment.html

Popular Posts