A story about buried TREasuRE !

Me now tell a TRUE story about Buried Treasures. As many know very well..me is a great one for finding and recoverys of gold nuggets and ingots, jewel encrusteds hilts, Princess Tiaras what was stole by Pirates and the like. It my widespread fames and forutnes and experiences in this here specialty field that cause me to know this here and be Call in a Consultants!!!

NOw, this here story begin when one day this here young whippersnapper come up to me on the street while me tipping through some trash cans what was graciously provided to citierzens by the Mayor Gallergan of Jeffersonville, (my current hometown). Him say "Mr. Goliath, may I have a word with thee?" Me stop and look at this upstart a moment and me get readys to give him a swift kick as me think him about to runs me off that alley or some such. Him say, "It's about buried treasure".

Well, rights away him now have my FULL TENTION and me drop the very promising bag of
rubbish inside an "Olde Towne" Grocery bag and says I, "I'm ALL EARS SPROUT!"

Now it seems this here Greenhorn was a wetbehinds the shiny ears Lawyers! Me hardly belevees IT! Him look like a School Crossing Guard!! Where the vicious snarl? Where the sweaty palms? Where the "lean and hunngry" looks me so often has done seened? It turn out this here Lawyer Jr. been done asked to help find BURIED TREASURE. Here his story.

"Mr Goliath, my clients are history buffs. They have made a study of the an OUTLAW gang that
actually got its start in SOUTHERN INDIANA. They are pretty famous. It's the RENO Brothers

My client believe they know WHERE the loot that was stolen in this famous train robbery from back in the 1800's is today! It turns out they have by detective work determined
it was buried in the grave of a man up in ****** county. They have CONFIRMED THE PRESENCE OF A LARGE METAL DEPOSIT with a METAL DETECTOR. They are afraid to dig up a GRAVE due to the possible LEGAL ramifications and they have asked me to research whether or not we can somehow get the LEGAL RIGHT to dig it up. " Lawyer Jr. grin at me.

"Those Reno brothers was BAD HOMBRES" me says.

"How many shekels in that dad blasted grave?" me askes.

"Well, from the old news reports of the time I guess there was about 20,000 in gold coins stolen.
But, at today's prices, the gold alone would be worth fifty million! Not to mention the value of
the coins as collector pieces!"

Now me eyes BUG OUT. Me stop and wonder, "why this here in the hands of this here sprout
lawyer and not Larry Wilders or The Hammer or the Heavy Hitter or the Tiger or them there
famouser Lawyers. When me askes him this here him say, "Just the luck of the Irish I guess!"

"Well then Sprout, what you NEED me for because most CERTAINLY I is IN !" Me says, "I
cartinly does well remmeber when them boys come into New Albanys" (since I am 3,000 years
old I is lucky as Me can always claims I was there first hand an no one alive today to dispute that there).

"Well, Goliath, your well known reputation as a first class buried treasure hunter is just the
expertise I need. I need you to sign an affidavit to support our mission. Of course, there will
be a piece of the pie for you if we succeed".

"PIECE OF PIE!!" me bellows, "Me wants Gold!!! Take your dad blasted pie MISTER...You is
not dealing with Monty Snelling (who me knows love dutch apple pies). "Sorry, Goliath..that was just a figure of speech. Of course what I mean is we will give you a part of the treasure if we succeed."

So, me go buy this whippersnapper green behind the ear junior Lawyer (what now got his own
big law firm with his name atop all others...this was few yeas ago this hapen) and sign off this
dad blasted Afferdavid with my mark which is "X" and me await further deverlpments. After a
week or two me grow impatient. Me go see the whipsnap. "WHERE MY TREASURES!!!" me
Bellows at him. "ME REady to start DIgging!!!"

Then the lawyer explain, " Well it was funny, I got everything ready to go, I had prepared my
petition to exhume the grave, I had your affidavit along with all the pleadings and certificates
I would need. However, I explained to my clients that the State of Indiana would have to be
let in for a cut on any recovered treasure's value. Plus, the federal government would want a
cut. In addition there was the whole question of whether any recovered treasure coins would
be 'artifiacts' with 'historical value' that would probably take several years of litigation to resolve.
Finally, I explained to them that we would possibly have to search whether there were any
corporate entities that had ownership rights in the original 1800's Railroad and other victims. They could theoretically assert a claim on the treasure as "formerly wrongfully stolen property". My client just sort of looked at me and said he (they) must think about all that. "

"So then what happened" me ask.

"Well, its a funny thing, Mr. Goliath. The next time I saw the client he said, "We went back
and rechecked that old grave with our metal detector one night. Turns out we were dead wrong
there was no sign of treasure" So, I don't have a case Mr. Goliath. Sorry."

This here a true story. But me not sure me believes the part about how that there grave not have the gold. Me wonder very much who that there client(s) was. But, That sprout say "attorney client" privilege and him can nots tell. That JUST LIKE A DAD BLASTED LAWYER!!!!

(Acknowledgment and Thanks to M.W. for this story)

Comments

Goliath said…
If you like Outlaws and Southern Indiana history,
the link to the blog is highly recommended as
well as the other links there. Some great stuff!

Popular Posts