SUPERSTAR

Perhaps Goliath just in a morbid mood due to being banned as a link on CCC,  but ,  also wanted to tell about
Goliath's thoughts and feelings about Karen Carpenter.  She died in 1983 as a result of anorexia.  As I understand it,  that is a mental disease that causes you to think you are too fat.  Of course, everyone knows (at least those who are over thirty or so)  that Karen Carpenter was always rail thin.   But, somehow she saw herself as fat when she looked in the mirror.  In other words,  she was a bit insane.  (who isn't?).  However her insanity proved to be deadly to herself as she died much too young.

Karen had a crystalline voice and many of her songs are pop standbys.  For myself,  I wasn't a big fan...but I have to admit that I have always had the song "Superstar" imbedded in my earhole and imprinted on my subconsciousness.  It comes to the fore at many unexpected times.  It's a very very haunting tune. Still, I haven't owned it or even listened to it for years.

However,  recently,  I bought a vehicle and the former owner left in the 6 track CD a 'Carpenter's Greatest
Hits"  CD and Goliath and the Sprout have been listening to it.   Of course the song, Superstar, is on there.
I realized I had not purposely listened to Superstar since Karen died and, my god, that was almost thirty years ago.   Listening to it now,   it struck me entirely different.  Somehow I realized,  or rather, it seems like to me,
that the song is about an insane, mentally and emotionally imbalanced woman.  She sits alone,  pining for 'the
Superstar' that she fell in love with  'long ago'  and apparently this love consumed her 'before the second show'.
Then we learn that the Superstar told her he loves her. Or,  she believes he did.  But, in any case,  she has spent these many many months or years waiting for his return.

I think part of the reason Karen masters this song and makes it her own so well is linked, in a macabre way, to her own mentally distorted view of the world.  There is a certain kind of relish she takes from the lonely pining of the narrator.  Just notice the  exsquisiteness she relishes on  the word  'loneliness'  in the second verse. And, is it just me or do you think it's kinda weird that the word "superstar" is never mentioned in the
song.  The closest we get is we are informed she can hear his guitar  'on the radio'.  But...Superstar?

The song has always haunted me.  But now....even more and frankly it's a little scary.




Now as for insanity,  listen again to "Goodby to Love"  ....knowing now, what we know.  The first amazingly
creepy thing is the whole positive upbeat music to the loss of all hope.  WEIRD!!!



Ok. Now I am really creeped out.  Back to SURVIVOR QUEST!!!

Comments

Amy said…
She was a human being, with a special gift, her voice.

Anorexia is a maddening condition, and a way of life and death for too many people.

Pro-anna websites are popular. Parents need to be aware of their existence.
Patrick said…
Hi G,
Sonic Youth did a good poignant cover of Superstar. Half tribute, half ironic comment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs9eh82buls&feature=related
Goliath said…
Patrick, I checked that out. Thanks for the link. I consider that more proof of my theory that this was
tinged with stalker-insanity.
hoosiertaxpayer said…
I think Superstar was written by Leon Russell and was in reference to "groupies" that follow bands.

K.Carpenter's rendition is kind of haunting and her interpretation may have been totally different than Russell's. She does put a lot of emotion into the song and she had a great voice.....perfect for this song
Goliath said…
Thanks for the info HT. The lyrics sound like a groupie-stalker. For me it is a weird thing as on one hand I like the song and on the other hand the lyrics creep me out.
Anonymous said…
"The song is about an insane, mentally and emotionally imbalanced woman." Any of those around here?
Anonymous said…
Yes, anonymous there is...if you would like to see that person, walk into your bathroom and look in the mirror. Or...get out some photos of your momma and you will see one.

Popular Posts