READER COMMENT

I think this info so important Goliath want to highlight this excellent 'comment' on the Bridge post. Anonymous wrote as follows:

"I'm with you on this Goliath.

You can check bridge ratings at nationalbridges.com.

If you look up the Kennedy and the 2006 rating, note the Structural Evaluation is...

"Equal to present minimum criteria."

That doesn't sound so good. In fact, the next step down on the Structural Evaluation scale is...

" Somewhat better than minimum adequacy to tolerate being left in place as is".

Which as we all know is engineering jibber jabber for, "I hope you know how to swim."

The 2008 estimate shows daily traffic as 136,000. The bridge was designed for only 85,000 vehicles a day.

What do you think that's doing to that piece of rust?

Estimates are this will increase by around 40% by 2025.

While I am against tolls I am for economic health. The bridge will need major renovation soon as it is nearing the end of it's projected lifespan.

Without a new downtown bridge to carry the traffic that the Kennedy would normally carry, the economic impact on our area would be devastating. Not to mention we need the estimated 50,000 plus jobs construction will bring.

Last note, the last estimated total improvement project cost for the Kennedy was $86,929,000."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lest we forget, around 1991, an expection showed the bridge had shifted "at least three inches" and I believe that was on the Indiana side.

Since they just inspected it, I'm wondering whether that has increased.
Anonymous said…
apologies, expection should have been "inspection"
Anonymous said…
Goliath mentioned the broken anchor bolt. Keep in mind, that one third of all the anchor bolts, and I'm going on memory here but I think there's more than a dozen of them, show at least 20 percent wear.

ITI partnered with UK to address questions concerning the end bearing anchor bolts after it was found in a 2006 inspection that one of those four bolts restraining an uplift bearing had fractured.

After the repair, ITI monitored the performance of the replacement bolt and the entire bearing assembly during and after the repair.

Within two months of installing the monitoring equipment, an event involving "significant redistrution of loads" on the bearing assembly, including the replacement anchor bolt was recorded.

Authorities were made aware of this immediately and ITI and KYTC engineers confirmed fracture of the new anchor bolt during a subsequent site check.

Rangaswamy has reason to worry, so do I.
Goliath said…
Anonymous, whoever you are, thank you so much for bringing forth this
information. Sadly, it confirms Goliath's fears about this situation.
Lisa Smith said…
Looks like we may get that "canal" whether some want it or not.
Goliath said…
First, I really have visions of some
sort of disaster and the big story will be how officialdom stood by and watched as the bridge deteriorated and the Bridges project twiddled its thumbs.

Second, I am surprised that the inspection seems to consist in some
significant measure in walking along
and 'tapping' the roadway with a metal rod.

Third, the information about the stressed and broken anchor bolts, the maladjusted bridge roadway joints, the deteriorating concrete,
all seem a little frightening.

Fourth, the pictures of these guys
don't boost my confidence. There looks like only one guy that is actually 'inspectin' anything. I hope that this is just an example how photographs can be deceptive.

Fifth, sounds like they have plenty of cover so that if a disaster happens there will be no one who is
really accountable for it.
hoosiertaxpayer said…
I'm on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Goliath said…
Thanks for your positive support and morally uplifting feedback ht.
Anonymous said…
I have a "baby" bridges phobia...I can drive across them, but it doesn't thrill me...After reading some of this, I now think my baby phobia has hit the "terrible 2's". :(

Jules

Popular Posts