The Doctor is "IN"

It is my distinct pleasure to once again speak to the living. Allow me to introduce my self. My name is John "Doc" Holliday, most recently of Colarado and from
Vadalia Georgia by way of Abilene, Tuscon and Tombstone Arizona. I last breathed over one hundred years ago. Through the August skills and command of "Goliath" the philistine, (once dead himself) I have been granted this opportunity
to speak again.

I also understand that I was the 'winner' of a poll addressing the question and which I was favored over Jesse James, William Antrim, Jim Miller and 'Wes' Hardin. Given the character of those fiends, I am not surprised I was selected by the majority. Not that I, myself,
was necessarily a gentle soul...quite the contary, however I was at least not a low down filthy
bushwhacking scum such as Jim Miller nor an overrated slightly rabid teenager like Billy.

Let me begin by wishing the best for the souls of those poor devils that I caused to be laid to rest.
Most of these richly deserved the short quick death I provided them, what with them being cheats at cards or interlopers in my romantic adventures with bad attitudes. After a hundred years it seems I have grown more mellow and wish nothing but peace for them. (they number
about 23).

I myself, alone among the list here on Goliath, died a natural death...in bed and without my boots on. Like Wes Hardin, I was a professional man, having been trained in Dentistry in Baltimore Maryland. I was also trained in the piano and as you might imagine was gifted with
strong, deft hands. Unfortunately for my personal history, I developed a case of tuberculosis,which, in those days was a slow death sentence. I was recommended to travel
West where the air was thought to be better. I did so in hopes of extending my life and practicing my chosen profession. How ironic that instead of relieving my fellow humans of their
pain and afflictions...I wound up inflicting so much pain instead.

It turned out that there wasn't much trade for a dentist who has to stop, periodically, to cough
up blood. This sad phenomenon tended to prejudice patients away from me...though I assure you, I used the most hygenic methods available at the time. This lack of honest occupation along with my natural character which I admit bent towards the demi-monde, led me to the
world of gambling halls, saloons, whores and the pleasures of drink and music. (All of which
I either consumed or provided myself). Like many of the gunmen mentioned on Goliath, I
was a Southerner and for us honor was a high calling...to be defended at all costs. Mixing all
these foregoing ingredients and there might be little wonder that I found myself engaged in
desperate and violent confrontations.

I was handy at cards and other games of 'chance'. I had a keen wit and overall a good insight
into the personalities with whom I dealt. I could read a man as other men could read the quality
of a horse. Thus, I was naturally advantaged in this little game of 'famous gunfighter'.

My most famed exploit, as you may have heard was the showdown with the Clanton boys at
the OK corral in Tombstone. For me, however, this was not a memorable affair. I was using
a shotgun that day.... at the demand of my good friend, Wyatt Earp. I prefer a pistol as that
weapon is a much more accurate weapon I in short range) and suits my need for physical precision.

But this is not to be an extended biographical sketch, but rather, my short comment on the
Christmas Holiday. With my name, I most aptly suited to extend a discourse on a Holliday
after all. Christmas in the Old West was everywhere celebrated and even the rheumiest eyed
two bit whore took time to sing the good old songs and wish their fellow man well. You will note
that no famous killings took place on Christmas day. Folks everywhere, even in that terrible
frontier longed for a brighter, more civilized day...free of want, free of illness, free of strife.

Today you folks are luckier than you know. Your homes are comfortable, you live without
fear of oppression by badmen, by slaughter by Indians, you have food and good water a plenty
and a life filled with as much civilized pleasure as one could want. So I recommend as you
enter the new year and a new decade to take a moment and truly consider the time in history
in which you live. Though stress and worry can assault you, truly you are living in a remarkable
era.

I wish you well.

-Doc

Comments

Popular Posts