Sunday Morning Comin' down Part 7 Sexx drugs and rock and roll

 Sex Drugs and Rock and Roll

Ten foot tall and bullet proof.  There's an expression. So, usually that involves alcohol... and in my story alcohol was involved.  But not dominating. Something in me had turned and it's the kind of thing you are young, not previously a big womanizer, but wake up with a naked australian girl in your bed and...its not a big deal. In fact. You just are thinking...how to get her out of here.  But she is funny and goofing around under the cover with your morning stuff.  Good Lord!

Fuck.  I hadn't changed. I was the same guy...but I must have had something different. Anyway it happened.  Then an italian girl.  They didn't want love. Just fun. 

Down at Zorbas... it was the gathering place of all the European and other travelers.  Georgio played western rock n roll on his sound system...lots of reggae with Bob Marley.  Bob Dylan's "God gave name to all the animals" and classic American rock.  Some of us were having fun with "Black Magic Woman" ...and drinking heineken beer.  I went outside by the sea to get some air and  a black haired Norwegian gal came after me.  She was mad at me.  I had not paid her enough attention.  Was she psycho?  What the hell.  

"What is this ...this "black magic woman" ..? Why don't you take a look at someone who is right here."

She said this...and, honestly,  I had not met her before that night. She came up to me and touched my shoulder.  "Black Magic Woman"...and she began to sway.  Goddamit. 

Somehow, maybe with Stats help...or Ollie's or maybe even Kathy or Gwen's help I extricated myself from the clutches of the amorous Norwegian gal.  Something was resisting inside me.  Your mind goes back to guys riding around in the backseats of somebody elses's dad's car and talking about sex and being a given if sex was available only a gottam fool would turn it down. But ..there ya go. I turned it down. 

How my friends would  have laughed.  "Gay boy".  But, no that wasn't it. 

at 21 I was so drawn to women.  I had always loved girls. I was mystified by the things that interested them. But I  was drawn to their beauty.  And, I found beauty or fascination in so many things. Their hands.  I am drawn to hands that are so different than my hand. My first real girlfriend had beautiful graceful hands.  But, in intimacy that I was blessed with as a young man...so much more than just the clashing of genitals.  The curves of the waste or the underside of the breast.  Or how she could say words that were only and only ever for me to hear.   This killed me.  this destroyed me.  These were the greatest gifts I ever got in life for a long time. I was kind. Easy and gentle. I didn't ever do physical wrong. This was like milkshakes,  cherry pies,  beautiful sunsets and a cool breeze, mountain views of miles of beautiful forest...this was a beauty.  It was too beautiful to toss around like a glass of beer or something. Then here came Gerta. 

Gerta.  Considering how drawn I was...Gerta changed me.  Another night at Zorbas.  Gerta was german and tall and willowy and pretty and in every way I would have jumped up and down for at some other time.   We had been on the dance floor. She draped herself on me. Followed me out on the Quay and offered herself to me. 

Something inside me seized up. I did not want to be with her. I don't know why. I shouldn't have felt that way. But, I did feel that way.  Then I had the dilemma. How to say 'no' to a beautiful woman. That was a new problem for me.  I very awkwardly claimed I couldn't...I had an STD.  I hope she accepted that lie.  I did not want to 'scorn' her.  But we parted and I don't think I saw her after that. 

So...it seemed like I was NOT screwing around more than I was. But it kept coming.  

It was an interesting comparison to "THOR".    In the town was Thor.  He was a guy about our age. He was from Minnesota or Wisconsin and he was muscular...long blond hair..blue eyes...like a young god. He was TRYING to screw every girl in town...but he was such an asshole that he wasn't getting too far. 

Thor had some skunkweed.  But,  we didn't want it. After hearing Thor go on about how great America was, and how great Minnesota was, and how great his school was and how fucking great Thor was...I wanted nothing to do with him.  Seemed like the young women were kind of repelled as well. 

Meanwhile,  Oliver was doing all he could to court Kathy.  I imagine there were some intimate scenes...but disturbed because Ollie was drinking...Kathy wasn't keen on that.  Gwen ..the mouse...seemed to be content to be a sister to Stats and me.  

You could take a break from the frantic sexualized dancing in Zorbas and the booze and walk out on the quay which had a long barrier to make a harbor for the boats and get to the end and look up at the stars and moon and feel the breeze of the night Mediterranean and talk about how somewhere someone you loved might be looking at the same sky or talking about dreams about what life would be like when you got home. Or  joke about Thor,  or the girl who got mad because the shopkeeper sprayed bug killer on the pastries to keep the flies off or tell a tale you'd heard about some german girls who got caught sunbathing without tops and were taken to the local police.  And the waves lapped at the quay and breeze was so soft and you could hear the rock n roll bouncing out over the water in that faraway music sound has over water.  Would all adult life be like this now? 

A young american woman organized a Christmas dinner for all the north americans in the village at one of the cafes.  She was like 'mom'.  She made sure they had turkeys in. But ..the turkeys were boiled or something... but it was a memorable and wonderful meal...with all the American's and Canadians in town together joined in the spirit of the day. That event had no sex, drugs or rock and roll. We sang christmas carols at the table and shared where we were from and a bit about our families back home and what they would be doing today....this Christmas day.  And we were in a seaside village in Crete. 200 miles north of Africa. 


                                                              Me. Not smoking a joint. 

Comments

Popular Posts