I am writing THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL

You always wondered what it would be like.  So,  at rare and random times you might have had it.  A day when you slept in as you liked and woke when you felt like it.  Not due to some obligation. Not due to an alarm clock.  Not due to the sound of a house waking up. Footsteps tottering to the bathroom. The familiar sounds of kitchen ....the radio coming on.

You looked at retired folks and with mixed parts envy, curiosity and a sort of pathos..."Oh,  their purposed life is over". 

But,  then,  the wear and tear of the grind...sometimes it was wearying and you imagined ..."What if I was wealthy beyond care? What if I had no need to work?"   So you imagined you could do things that you 'didn't have time for' now.  Like...splendid exercise.  Like...taking the time for a deep and thoughtful dive into really good books. Like  ....trying things you didn't do now but imagined would be fun.

Like,  how about sitting down and writing that novel you always dream of writing?  You know...THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL inside you?

It never really happened though.  Maybe once or twice there was a snow storm so bad that the world shut down to wait out a day or two.  That was it though.  Tops. It was never enough time to really do anything more than just have fun days sleeping in.
**********************************************

But now this.

It seems like about 16 days in to this "Life in the Time of the Coronavirus".  And,  of that,  about
8 days into the "Shelter in Place"  directive.  My wife and I went to an art opening on Friday, March
13.  Everyone was tapping elbows instead of hugs or handshakes.  And by 'everyone' I mean the 'crowd' of about 6-8 people who showed up instead of the usual  60 to 70.   (I'm afraid there were no
sales...sorry Ray.  Great work btw).

We dined that night at the Dragon Kings Daughter in New Albany with another couple. All of us took
care to wash our hands thoroughly before we ate.  The place was full of other diners.  (Mostly younger people.)  It was a fun night and I had two bourbons on the rocks.

Image result for dragon kings daughter new albany

************************************************************

That was my last 'social outing'. 

I have been to the office,  but we are not taking face to face appointments and no body
is coming in or out except fellow workers.  But, we are 'distancing' there.  And also using deep clean anti viral attacks on all surfaces that are touched.  The office feels pretty safe. 

I went to  court twice last week.  Both times just to get people out of jail. 

Image result for Jail birds 

It seemed worth it. 

I went to Dirty Kroger ... 3 times.  Image result for Dirty Kroger

I also went to the whiskey store.  I need to keep that stocked.

   (I like the 86 proof.)

I also made sure we have plenty of Orange Juice cause I am a big believer in Vitamin C.  I also been
taking my regular vitamin to make sure my Zinc levels are maintained.   

Image result for Orange Juice

Based on my buddy, Ed's,  recommendation,  I also been gargling with a hydrogen peroxide solution ...in my case this stuff...

Weird!!!

**********************************************************************

Now,  as for spending my time...I have been working a little on home projects.  I put a new
screen door on the back porch.  Image result for screen door porch 

The damn thing was good but then it started 'sticking' at the bottom and I had to figure out how to
fix that.   I decided to do a little 'whittlin'   with my outdoor knife.  It looks pretty much like this except it's not so black.

Image result for survival knife

It wasn't getting the job done though so I resorted to a good old hammer and wood chisel.

Image result for Hammer and wood chisel

That did the trick. 

I also have been getting out almost everyday and doing my bicycling gig.  I ride between 4-6 miles
depending on how I am feeling.  Image result for bicycling

But,  I do not wear a costume.  In fact I kinda snear at people who wear costumes to ride a bike.

Image result for bicycling  Really?  SMH.   I do not ride in the road if the

sidewalk is available.  I don't crowd anybody.  I don't pretend like cars have to treat me with 'rights' and stuff.  I am friendly as hell when I ride.

**************************************************************

Eating:   I  think the big highlights of the day are eating.  I am actually having a real breakfast of some sort in the mornings.  Usually an egg sandwich.  I also eat leftover stuff for lunch and then
dinner. 

For dinners I have been making stuff.  For example I made my world famous chili one night. Then I made a slow cook beef stew.  That stuff was awesome!!!

Image result for beef stew crock pot

Last night,  I fixed beef tenderloin filet mignon.  And today I am using my friend's crock pot
recipe to slow cook chicken breasts. The house smells great!!!

************************************************************

Don't know what I will do next.  I have been listening to The Last Podcast on the Left for entertainment  a few times.   Right now I am part of the way through 'the Iceman'  about some horrible prolific mafia hitman.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVxD633rUds

I guess in a little while,  I will finally FINALLY get around to writing my novel. 

Yes,  I always wanted to write a novel.  I guess I have no excuse not too now.  It will be the
GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL.  So  just hold on!!

Image result for The Great American Novel








Comments

Popular Posts