Christmas Times : Loss , Heartache, Woe

Jeffersonville- December 22,

If you had a decent childhood,  I think it's pretty safe to say that Christmas was a magical and favorite time of the year.  School was out...Santa and presents on the way.  Lots of special Christmas fare like cookies,  candies  and decorated trees.  We marked Christmas when I was  a kid by my dad putting a big Santa poster on the front door.   He started doing that when we lived in a house without a fireplace or chimney..."to let Santa know where to come in"  he told us.   But,  even when we moved to a house that he built that had a fireplace,  Dad still put that Santa door decoration up. 

But this year seems different for a lot of friends and neighbors and for myself somehow.  It was quite a blow to the county and especially Charlestown and especially the police community when right here just before Christmas,  a young, bright eyed and by all accounts dedicated and decent young man lost his life doing his job as a cop. Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor and nature

Officer Ben Bertam lost his life way way way too young.   The whole community felt this terrible blow.   I did not know Officer Ben,  but the ripple effect from his passing hit me every day as I walked in to work and saw the courthouse flag flying half staff.

But that's not all,  a few days before that,   Jeffersonville heard the horrible news of Wayne Estopinal losing his life in an airplane crash.  I served with Mr. Estopinal on the Greenway project back in the 90s and respected him and his vision and passion for the community.  But he was much larger than just that project as was evident by all the people who cried out at the loss.  He and two others were gone in a twinkling. 

I followed the story in the media but more, on Facebook where I could see the comments and shocked statements of those who knew him.  What loss they must feel this Christmas.   I also paid attention to the young man who was the pilot of that doomed flight and saw as his young widow cried out in pain and disbelief at the loss of her man.  He had two young children and the mind reels at the pain that young family must be going through.    This won't be a 'holly jolly' Christmas for them.



Then,  I had a loss of my own.   My wonderful aunt,  Jean Campbell died after a very brief illness
last weekend.  She was 89.  She taught first grade for 30 years in Leslie County.  I  would say it's quite likely she taught most of that county how to read.  She taught Sunday school for 60 years...along with many other accomplishments.  Most importantly, she raised her son and was a devoted grandmother.  But,  I must tell you...she was an absolutely wonderful aunt.  When we were kids one of the sure touchstones of Christmas was the arrival of the 'box' from Aunt Jean. It came by mail and inside were gift wrapped presents for all my siblings and the toys were always something special that would only somehow come from Hyden.   She's gone now.  At her funeral my brother played her favorite song,  as she requested.... "Moon River" 



Here's her photo: 

Image may contain: Diane Campbell, smiling, standing, child, tree and outdoor

And now,  as if our community had not suffered enough I see that  Leon Noel died...aged only 43!
That just seems brutally unfair.  I did not know Chief Noel.  I  only knew of him as the brother of the Sheriff,  Jamey Noel,  who I had opposed 4 years ago when he ran against my friend.  Yet, and still,  I can see how his loss is hurting his family and hurting his friends.   His brother posted this on social media shortly before Chief Noel passed, "Prayers for my little brother Leon Noel as he is in ICU fighting for his life. He was awaiting a liver transplant but is battling an infection.
Donovan Harrod was standing on his left bedside and I was standing on his right bedside as he held our hands and he 
lead/started to recite the Lord’s Prayer with us the best he could."    

If that doesn't break your heart...I don't know what will.   Image may contain: 1 person, standing


So,  this Christmas...I am not feeling so jolly nor so grand.   To all of you who lost someone...to those who hurt...and to those who don't know what to do.  I greatly sympathize.   It's a blue christmas and I kind of wish I could just get on away from it.



Comments

Popular Posts