Goliath's Code for Riding a Bike in the City

Goliath is bike rider.  Back in the day I used to run.  I was no marathoner.  My peak was doing three mile runs about 4 times a week.  That was a good regimen.  The summer after law school,  I gave myself the time to prepare for the bar exam.  That meant all I did was study and ..for break...I would exercise. That meant running. even longer runs.

Later, I slacked off. Because when you are young you can slack off without too much of a problem. Youth takes care of a lot.  Then,  I went back to the running.  Running is hard and ...kind of lonely.

So,  then I dropped it.  

In middle age I took up walking.  Fairly long walks in my forties which I did alternate evenings. Now, in my fifties,  I developed some physical limits that made walking a painful experience. I went back to something I loved all along. Bike riding.

********************************************

I was inspired by my friend Tom P.  Tom is a little older than I am but he looks ten years younger than me.  He rides long..beautiful rides in Southern Indiana.  He has done this as long as I've known him and he inspired me to get back on.  So, for the past three years or so,  I have been bike riding almost every day at least 4.5 miles.  On the weekends I stretch out to as much as 12 miles. I never have a bike ride I regret.  I have a code:

1.  I don't wear a helmet.

Many friends scold me for not wearing a helmet.  I am sure they have my best interest in mind. But, frankly,  I don't like it.  It takes away from the pleasure of the ride for me.  I defend myself by reminding that I have now been riding a bike for half a century (that's a long time) ...helmetless.  I think I got this.  

2.  I don't wear a costume.

I see a lot of bikers wearing these Lycro shorts and shirts...special shoes and stuff.  I don't wear any of that.  My out fit is tennis shoes,  a baseball cap (which I wear backwards)  and ...some jersey ( $.99) gloves with the tips cut off the fingers.

I feel that for me that costume would look ridiculous and I am too vain to look ridiculous.  My ball cap is not to 'look cool' but because in the cool or  cold months I like to wear a cap but don't like the brim getting in my field of vision.  I like HAVING a brim...because I often ride when it starts raining.
I can flip the brim around and it protects my glasses against the rain.   I got in the habit of wearing the gloves with the tips off when my old bike's handlegrips got 'gummy' and were too stick on my skin. After that, I kinda like wearing them. They protect against the wind and the tips out means I have a good grip where I need it.

3.  I don't ride in the street if I can help it.

I hate bikers who ride right in the middle of the street "Just like a car does" because "that's the lawful right "    I think that's bull shit.  Those roads are built for cars and bikes on the roads are  a nuisance to the drivers.  When I must ride on the road I do so at the extreme edge of the road or on the shoulder.
That way I do not impede traffic.  I often ride on the sidewalks.   I know that breaks another 'rule' but the fact is that the sidewalks are mostly empty.  When I do chance upon a pedestrian,  I slow to walking pace...I make sure they see or hear me and I yield to them in every instance.  For 95 percent of the walkers, that's fine.  On occassion I will get some lip.   Just tonight a young, fit, jogger in a loud voice said "you can't cycle on the sidewalk dude".    I didn't stop or answer.   I guess I will just have to be a rule breaker on this point.

Part 2 tomorrow**************************************************

Comments

Popular Posts